Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
St. Leonard, MD
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network

[ Print this page ]
Brief Description: On over 500 acres along the shoreline of the Patuxent River, Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum explores the changing cultures and environment of the Chesapeake Bay region of the past 12,000 years. Visitors can investigate thousands of years of human history by touring archaeological sites and trails, acres of working farmland, restored farm buildings and museum exhibits, and by attending educational programs. More than 70 archaeological sites have been identified, from the prehistoric period 9,000 years ago through the Colonial period, and including the site of the 1814 Battle of St. Leonard Creek the largest naval engagement in Maryland's history.
Location / Directions:

From the north: take MD Route 4 south towards Upper Marlboro, keep going to Prince Frederick; go through Prince Frederick, continue on Route 4 for 3 miles, turn right on Route 264 (Broomes Island Road) and travel for 2 miles; then turn left on Route 265 (Mackall Road) and follow for 6 miles; turn right into Park entrance.

From Virginia: take US 301 north to MD Route 5 to Hughesville and turn left on Route 231; follow Route 231 for 13 miles to Prince Frederick; turn right (south) on Route 4; follow Route 4 for 3 miles, turn right on Route 264 (Broomes Island Road) and follow directions as above.

Driving Directions
Address: Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
10515 Mackall Road
St. Leonard, MD 20685
Visitor Phone: (410) 586-8500
Activities: Educational programs on the historical, cultural, and natural resources of the area; annual events include a War of 1812 Reenactment, Celtic Festival, African American Family Community Day, Children’s Day on the Farm, and Native American Technology Day

Birding and Wildlife Viewing Educational Programs Hiking Picnicking

Operating Hours: April 15 through October 15 open from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Wednesday through Sunday
Fees: No admission fee
Visitor Facilities: Publicly accessible park and museum with archeological sites and trails, farmland, restored farm buildings, museum exhibits, and 2 ½ miles of waterfront access along the Patuxent River
Size: 500 acres
Accessibility: Museum is accessible
Website: http://www.jefpat.org

Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network - Comments or Questions: Call: 1-800-YOUR-BAY