|[ Print this page ]|
|Brief Description:||The Susquehanna Museum of Havre de Grace really marks the beginning of the Chesapeake Bay. The Bay opens up on one side of the city, supported by the flow of the Susquehanna River from the north.
The museum's restored lock house stands at what was once the southern terminus of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal. The 45 miles of canal ran all the way to Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, linking with other canals to open central Pennsylvania to convenient trade with Baltimore and Philadelphia. The Locktender's House was built in 1840 as the canal office and as a dwelling for the locktender and his family. In 1982, the restored house opened to the public with historical artifacts of the Havre de Grace area on display.
|Location / Directions:||The Susquehanna Museum of Havre de Grace is located in Havre de Grace, Maryland.
Take I-95 to exit 89 toward Havre de Grace. Follow Route 155 into Havre de Grace, and make a right onto Juniata Street. Turn left onto Erie Street, and then turn left onto Conesteo Street.
Or, take Route 40 to Havre de Grace. Turn off of Route 40 onto Juniata Street. Turn left onto Erie Street, and then turn left onto Conesteo Street.
|Physical Address:||Susquehanna Museum of Havre de Grace
817 Conesteo Street
Havre de Grace, MD 21078
|Mailing Address:||Susquehanna Museum of Havre de Grace
P.O. Box 253
Havre de Grace, MD 21078
|Visitor Phone:||(410) 939-5780|
|Activities:||Visitors to the Susquehanna Museum of Havre de Grace can take guided tours of the house, as well as a reconstructed pivot bridge and the remains of the Canal Lock and Basin. You also can walk the towpath, cross the pivot bridge, and operate the pivot bridge.
In early December, the museum holds its annual Christmas Boutique at the Lock House. The sale offers many handmade items, plus traditional holiday gifts, wreaths, greens, and gourmet foods.
And on December 9, the museum leads its annual candlelight tour of historic Havre de Grace locations, including various homes, shops, and churches. There is an admission fee; call 410-939-5780 for ticket information.
Each year, the museum conducts a two-day reenactment of the attack on Havre de Grace during the War of 1812 in early May.
The museum also sponsors a lecture series about topics of local interest.
|Operating Hours:||The Lockhouse is open to the public on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm.|
|Fees:||The museum is free to the public.
The museum also offers memberships. Membership applications can be found at our website.
|Visitor Facilities:||The Susquehanna Museum of Havre de Grace contains a restored Lock House, as well as a gift shop.|
|Accessibility:||The first floor of the museum is handicapped accessible.|