|[ Print this page ]|
|Brief Description:||Anacostia Park, a unit of the National Park System, consists of 1200 acres along 5 miles of the Anacostia River shoreline from the Frederick Douglas Memorial Bridge north to the DC/MD line. This urban park, once the home of Nacotchtank Indians and later prosperous farmers, is now a multi-use recreational park with extensive shoreline access. It includes trails, boat launches, picnic areas, a swimming pool, a multi-use pavilion and Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens. The Anacostia River is recognized as a significant, but somewhat ignored, Bay tributary in the Nation's capital. The park represents a large portion of that resource, providing extraordinary shoreline frontage.|
|Location / Directions:||The entrance to Kenilworth Park (recreation area) is located at the westernmost end of Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue, N.E., just off I-295 (Kenilworth Avenue). It is approximately 0.5 mile south of the Aquatic Gardens entrance.|
|Physical Address:||Anacostia Park
Park Headquarters:1900 Anacostia Drive SE
Washington, DC 20020
|Mailing Address:||Anacostia Park
1900 Anacostia Drive SE
Washington, DC 20020
|Visitor Phone:||(202) 472-3873|
|Business Phone:||(202) 426-9365|
|Operating Hours:||Open :30 am to 5:30 pm every day of the year except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.|
|Fees:||There is no entrance fee.|
|Visitor Facilities:||Hundreds of acres are available for ball fields, picnicking, basketball, and tennis. The Anacostia Park Pavilion has 3,300 square feet of space for rollerskating and special events. The Langston Golf Course offers 18 holes and a driving range. Three concession-operated marinas, four boat clubs, and a public boat ramp provide access to the tidal Anacostia River for recreational boating.|
Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens: Kenilworth Park and Gardens constitutes some 700 acres and is part of Anacostia Park. Kenilworth includes the "Gardens", Kenilworth Marsh, ballfields and recreational facilities. The origins of Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens lie not only in the 1791 L'Enfant Plan for the District of Columbia, but also the McMillan Plan of 1901 which specifically recommended extension of public parkland along both sides of the Anacostia River.
The Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens is the only National Park Service site devoted to the propagation and display of aquatic plants. The Gardens were begun as the hobby of Civil War veteran and operated for 56 years as a commercial water garden. In 1938, the Gardens were purchased by the Federal Government. It was at that time that the facility ceased operating as a commercial enterprise and became part of the National Park system.