Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network   Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Contact Us   Site Index 
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
About the Chesapeake BayVisit a GatewayMap CenterSee the BayFacts and FunThe Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network

     Bay Info
     Bay History
     Exploring the Bay
     Places and People
     Bay Regions
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Home > About the Chesapeake > Exploring the Bay > Chesapeake Bay Lighthouses > Lighthouses Today > Baltimore Light
Baltimore Light
Year Built:1908
Description:Baltimore Light Caisson light located at the mouth of the Magothy River marking the entrance to Craighill Channel. A two-story, octagonal, white brick tower and black lantern rise 38 feet. Originally equipped with a 4th order Fresnel lens. Automated 1964. Owned and maintained by USCG (Coast Guard Activities Baltimore). Eligible for listing on National Register of Historic Places.
Type of Structure:Brown cylindrical foundation pier expanding to trumpet shape at upper end. White octagonal two story brick with mansard roof and black lantern.
Purpose:To mark the entrance to the Baltimore channel at the mouth of the Magothy River.
Interesting Facts:In 1964, it became the first atomic powered lighthouse. Battery would last ten years, but the experiment only lasted two. It is now solar powered. Retains original fog bell.
Photo(s):Baltimore Light
Other Lighthouses:

Printer Symbol Print Version   Envelope Mail Symbol E-mail To a Friend   Provide Your Comments Comments/Feedback   Bookmark This Page Bookmark This Page

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use| Browser Plug-ins | RSS Feeds | Copyright 2009 Chesapeake Bay Gateways and Watertrails Network Chesapeake Bay ProgramNational Park Service