Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network   Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Contact Us   Site Index 
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
About the Chesapeake BayVisit a GatewayMap CenterSee the BayFacts and FunThe Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network

     Bay Info
     Bay History
     Exploring the Bay
     Places and People
     Bay Regions
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network
Home > About the Chesapeake > Exploring the Bay > Chesapeake Bay Lighthouses > Lighthouses Today > Sharps Island
Sharps Island
Year Built:1882
Description:Sharps IslandDark brown 35-foot caisson located offshore southwest of Tilghman Island. Originally a movable, integral lighthouse sited on land (1838), followed by a screwpile in 1866. The caisson was placed in 1882 after ice destroyed the screwpile. Operational; automated 1938. Tower leans due to ice damage in 1977. Owned and Maintained by USCG (Coast Guard Activities Baltimore). Listed on National Register of Historic Places
Type of Structure:Cast-iron and masonry house atop cast iron caisson.
Purpose:Marks the shoals off Poplar Island and Black Walnut point at the entrance to Choptank River.
Interesting Facts:The original Sharps Island light was indeed on an island. The island eroded away, causing the light to be replaced by a screwpile structure. The screwpile was destroyed by ice in 1881.
Photo(s):Sharps Island
Other Lighthouses:

Printer Symbol Print Version     Provide Your Comments Comments/Feedback   Bookmark This Page Bookmark This Page

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use| Browser Plug-ins | RSS Feeds | Copyright 2009 Chesapeake Bay Gateways and Watertrails Network Chesapeake Bay ProgramNational Park Service